Continuing our monthly blog series providing ideas for integrating QR codes into your marketing initiatives, the following are some creative promotional campaign ideas, organized by theme, that provide relevant reasons to connect with your customers this February. Feel free to use this post as a starting off point for brainstorming your February campaigns, or to apply any themes you especially like in your vertical directly.
Theme: Black History Month/Freedom Day observation commemorating the anniversary of the 13th Amendment to the Bill of Rights (Feb. 1)
Sample Industries: Museums, Education / Universities, Think Tanks, Entertainment
- Use QR codes placed at historic sites or throughout relevant exhibits with links to rich social media featuring the achievements of prominent African Americans in politics, government, STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math), journalism and entertainment
Theme: American Heart Month
Sample Industries: Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Hospitals and Clinics, Fitness, Weight Management, Food Manufacturers, Groceries, Pharmaceutical
- Use QR codes to link to “heart healthy” recipes. QR codes could be included in mailers or newsletters as part of a continuity campaign, or in advertisements.
Theme: Groundhog Day (Feb. 2)
Sample Industries: Retail, Fitness, Bars, Restaurants, Entertainment, Museums
- Offer an extra discount or incentive – redeemable by QR code through printed materials, exterior retail signage, kiosks and/or POS displays – in celebration of warmer days ahead – that is, if the lauded February prognosticator isn’t startled by his shadow
Theme: Super Bowl 2012 (Feb. 5)
Sample Industries: Bars, Restaurants, Entertainment, Retail
- Use QR codes on menus, coasters, signage, and POS displays asking customers to share what team they think will win the Super Bowl (and why) – organize the conversation through social media and display a running total of votes and the favored winner
- Make the QR code redeemable for 20% off the customer’s next bill or set QR redemption to enter customers in a raffle drawing for an item such as a new HDTV delivered in time for the Super Bowl
- Consider offering an extra incentive to the customers who correctly predict the winner (e.g. free dessert or drink)
Theme: Valentine’s Day (Feb. 14)
Sample Industries: Florists, Retail Gifts, Candy
- Post “vending posters” to make it easy for people to order Valentine’s gifts for their sweethearts. Posters could depict multiple pictures of floral arrangements or gifts with corresponding QR codes that link to a mobile web page to immediately order the item shown.
Sample Industries: Restaurants, Bars, Entertainment
- Include QR codes on advertisements linking to a mobile web page to make a dinner reservation or purchase a ticket.
Theme: President’s Day/Veteran appreciation (Feb. 21)
Sample Industries: Insurance, Banking, Financial Services
- Target veterans with a QR code-redeemable promotional offer nested within a direct mail campaign, such as:
1. A 20% discount on the first monthly insurance premium with new policy
2. $250 cash bonus for opening a new banking account
3. 0.5% to 1% incentive on a new loan
Don’t forget to lead with thanking veterans for their honorable service, commitment and sacrifices.
Theme: Continuity Campaigns/New Year’s Resolutions
Audience: Insurance, Banking, Financial Services
- Insurance, banking and financial services could issue a monthly newsletter with an article reminding consumers to schedule an appointment with their financial advisor or agent to assure their financial and insurance plans meet their needs. A QR code printed on the newsletter could take the recipient instantly to a form to schedule an appointment.
Need help executing your campaign? We can help! Let us know via our Contact Us page and someone from our team will be in touch to follow up.
Include a call to action to improve chances of QR redemption
Test QR codes and review our recommended QR code specifications before launching any campaign.
Have a plan in place for how you’re going to retire and redirect content after the life of your QR code promotion.
* For more information on how to use QR codes effectively, sign-up for QR Code Tips and Tricks.
In this post, we’ve shared some fresh ideas to enliven February campaigns with fun and engaging uses of QR codes. We’d love to hear from you if you test-drive any of our ideas. What are some of your favorites?